• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do I Return the V5 to the Finance Company?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Return the V5 to the Finance Company?

I am returning my car and was chasing the Finance Company to acknowledge my letter notifying my intention to use my rights to terminate.

They say they are in touch with British Car Auctions to come get it but want me to send the V5 to them. Shouldn't I get a signature from them on this? What date goes on It? The letter was dated 11th January and I stated 14 days so do I date it 25th January?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
    Lesley
    Tags: None

Re: Do I Return the V5 to the Finance Company?

I would advise against it, there's no reason why it can't be handed over when the car is collected, but it's up to you.

If you have proof of the letter you sent terminating the agreement then that should be enough to say its terminated.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi ROb

Thanks for your comments. They have confirmed receipt of the letter (I sent it special delivery) but I had to call yesterday to get this confirmation as I had had no communication from them until then. This is when I was told they wanted me to send the V5. I didn't include it with the termination letter as there was no mention of doing so on this site.

I have read through the V5 and it needs the signature of the Motor Trader and the date of car changing hands. My feeling is that as I have no ideal what date they are coming to get the car, how can I put this on the declaration? I am not compromising by signing a legal document incorrectly just to keep the Finance Company happy!

Comment

You can also update the registered keeper online by going to https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

But once again, there is no reason why it can't be done at the same time of collection since they have to come and collect the car anyway. I would personally hand the document over when they collect the car but as I said previously it's your choice whether you choose to or not - There is no legal obligation to send it to them first and one of the consequences of doing so is that if they don't sign it and then simply pass the V5 to the new owner once it has been auctioned off, you will be liable for any penalties or charges such as speeding until the DVLA have been notified.

If you haven't received information on when they are collecting the car then I would suggest you chase that up.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X